Whittington Church had its beginning in modest economic times but in a small railroad community dotted with many business establishments, including a bank. In 1924, a small group met and the Whittington Missionary Baptist Church was formed. While the erection of an adequate building was a necessity and met with disciplined financial and labor support, it began immediately to support a variety of Southern Baptist benevolent and mission activities, and remains true to its missionary ideal. 


Surviving the modest times of the Twenties, Thirties, and Forties meant modest pastor salaries and needed building improvements. By the Fifties, full time pastors were called and a parsonage was built. Great growth in the Eighties and Nineties led to building a fellowship hall, which survived a Christmas fire in 1985. Soon new sanctuary and classrooms were built with much volunteer labor, only quickly found to be too small. Frequently nursery workers were pleading for more cribs, and youth activities required more than a multi-purpose room. The current auditorium/sanctuary and additional rooms were built in 2000.


In addition to pastoral care from Senior Pastor Mark Minor, Associate Pastors Greg Shelton and Bob Pankey, and Children's Ministry Director Becky Jones, hundreds of our church family provide a variety of ministries reaching out into a five county area. Best known is the HELPS Ministry that provides food, clothing, and household items to hundreds of people; it even has had its own building for over thirty years. A monthly Seniors Meal provides fellowship for area senior adults. Numerous other groups meet regularly at the church or in homes to provide spiritual nourishment to individuals and families.


Acreage to the west of State Route 37 provides a fenced ball diamond and gathering place for church picnics. For many years, Christmas at God's House and The Last Supper Easter Drama have brought hundreds for a time of spiritual awakening. Active youth groups date back to the beginning and have for many years included a variety of mission trips and activities. Our church provides an outreach ministry to local schools and two prisons. Members give generously to provide Christmas toys to over a hundred families and to the children of those incarcerated.


Whittington Baptist Church was adopted when the church property was incorporated and registered in 1953. However "Whittington Church" is now used, indicating that many of our members and attendees come from a variety of church backgrounds. Through the years "going to church" has become "being the church" in the community and beyond.


We hope that you decide to visit us for one of our services, then connect with one of our many groups or activities. We have a place for you! Be blessed!